The Samsung Galaxy S2 which has been one of the most successful Android powered smartphones ever is still in the news even rumors of Galaxy S4 is expected to be revealed on March 14th. The most recent news on Galaxy S2 (GT-19100) is that developers have made the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update available for it. The update is available through custom ROM Android Open Kang Project (AOKP).
Requirements to Perform Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on Galaxy S2
Before you get the update installed on your phone, you need to first have CWM (ClockworkMod) recovery app installed on your Galaxy S2. You need to connect your Galaxy S2 to your PC by using the USB cable. So, you need to also confirm whether you have installed USB drivers for your phone on your PC. Another important thing you need to do before you perform the update is to take the backup of your data.
When you are about to perform the update make sure there is enough battery power left on your phone. You need also enable the USB debugging mode. The update will only work on Galaxy S2 that has been unlocked by the manufacturer. If you purchased your S2 from a carrier, the update will not work.
How to Perform Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on Galaxy S2
- You need to down the update from this link and then you also need to download Google Apps for Galaxy S2.
- Connect the phone to the PC through USB cable and copy the downloaded files on to the memory card of your phone. Disconnect the cable once the files are transferred.
- Turn off and then press Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together to boot your device into CWM recovery mode. You will now see the Samsung logo on the screen.
- When you are in the CWM mode, completely wipe off the data from your phone. Once it is complete, you need to navigate and select ‘Flash Zip from SD card’ by pressing the Power button.
- You will then have to browse using the Volume up button to the Android 4.2.2 ROM.zip file and run the installation.
- After the installation of ROM, you need to do all the steps mentioned above again; however this time you will be choosing Google Apps zip file.
- Once done, you need to return to main screen of CWM mode and restart your phone by choosing ‘reboot system now’.
- Your first boot may take some time but once done, your Galaxy S2 will be on Android 4.2.2 OS